Friday, February 13, 2009

Follow the Y. Why not?

Somewhere on this site I wrote about Lillian Mongeau, one of the community writers in The Oregonian. If I remember correctly, -Here is the original post- she said, in essence, "Our generation does it better." That would be Generation Y, or, as I have come to know them, The Millenials. What a title. Sounds like superheroes.

Don't think I'm mocking them. Looking at the average schmo over 38, I usually see a moldy person, bent and stooped, staggering under the obligations piled on since early adulthood. It could be argued that, in her article, Lillian wrote a check her generation cannot cash, but I say they have a good chance of ending the rituals and foolishness older generations suffer under. One thing I would challenge The Millenials to accomplish is the end of materialism in America. That's a tall order, but what is there to lose? Besides, accomplishing the impossible is the stock and trade of superheroes, is it not?

I watch and wait.

2 comments:

amber dawn. pullin said...

where are you alley cat?

The Alley Cat said...

Good to hear from you, Amber!

Oh, I'm still here, here being Oregon and not The Alley, or are those two the same thing? Everything I've written is on paper, and I haven't bothered posting any of it here, though I will soon.