Monday, January 19, 2009

Lawn Work



Just a brief post...

I picked up Food Not Lawns by H. C. Flores from the library, and I need to read it for research into another one of my writing exercises. Of course, my latest idea has to find time among several topics of literary interest, but I need to read the book before it is due for return to the library. Oh, I could buy a copy, but I'm too cheap to pay the extraordinary price the book commands at the local bookstore. Looking at the condition of the book, with its dog eared corners and earthy colorings, I can see I'm not alone in my fit of penury. The book looks as though it has passed through the hands of every tree hugger and organic gardener in Multnomah County.

At a glance, Food Not Lawns is not much on the mechanics of gardening. Not when compared to The New Organic Grower, which reads like an organic gardener's bible. (For a better idea of the book, try this review.) But Flores gives me insight into the character of someone who believes they can help save the world by turning everyone's front lawn into an organic garden. An interesting idea to which I say, why not? and the character of such a grower is something I need to root out as much as how they grow their food.

No comments: