Monday, November 5, 2007

Local Fish Wrapper Makes Good

Portland Oregon, if you didn't already know it, is the finest city in the United States. Portland has many things going for it, but I have never considered the local newspaper one of them. However, the editors have come up with an idea that got my attention.

The Oregonian has assembled "an eclectic group" of community writers who will be featured in future Sunday editions. In other words, people of diverse backgrounds who have never had anything to do with The Oregonian voicing their opinions in The Oregonian.

How eclectic is this group? I'll point out three of them: a former agricultural scientist from India, a political science professor from George Fox University, and a "southern Idaho Mormon cowboy" (Hello! My cat hair is standing straight up!) turned religious skeptic. That last one already launched a shot across the bow saying, "I will not be guarded or measured in my opinions." Yawn. It takes more than that to rattle this old culture war vet.

Out of all the writers, there is one in particular that I will be looking for. Her name is Lillian Mongeau, a twenty five year old from Hood River who
boldly states, "My generation is better educated, less prejudiced and healthier than any American generation that has come before us. Our women dominate the universities, our homosexuals can come out safely, and our teeth have fewer cavities."

Oh how I love brassy young writers. Bring it on baby. Bring it on.

5 comments:

The Alley Cat said...

That Lillian is from New Yawk!

The Byronic Cat said...

I hope she brings some New York Times quality of writing to that fish wrapper. It's becoming too laid back.

The Alley Cat said...

Your pretty brassy yourself -a hardly known blogger taking shots at a Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper.

The Byronic Cat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Alley Cat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.