Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Submission

I see that The Oregonian has a new crop of Community Writers. Wondering what you have to do to become part of the community, I read the bios of the people who were selected. In addition to being a good essayist, it appears the right college degree, owning a business, or being a freelance writer helps.

I do not own a business, and I do not earn a living by my words. But even if my writing skills suffice, The Oregonian would find me of no use. The subjects of my writing include neither politics nor social issues, and will not maintain or increase the newspaper's circulation. However, I know someone who the editors of The Oregonian would find helpful to their community of writers, as his thoughts, profound and provocative, are born from a "rich palette of experience." It is my conviction that, upon seeing the type and quality of his opinions, the editors will understand that his inclusion will greatly increase the level of public conversation generated by their community of writers. Therefore, The Byronic Cat submits his candidate for the next crop.



Captain Ahab

Years in Oregon: Many

Occupation: Captain of The Pequod

Fun fact: While in the middle of a typhoon, as the three masts of the ship glowed with St. Elmo's fire -a warning directed at myself- I proclaimed my defiance to God, and extinguished his reply. I had things to do and didn't need any interferrence.

My Words: [Speaking to "thou omnipotent" in the middle of that typhoon] "Light though thou be, thou leapest out of darkness, but I am darkness leaping out of light, leaping out of thee!"


No comments: