Sunday, March 9, 2008

I am the Fates' Leutenant

Writing 122 is drawing to a close, and, having received the final assignment, we, the students, retire to our homes, our libraries, our silent secluded sanctuaries, to write the longest and most important essays of our budding academic lives. Indeed, this essay, which shall account for half our grade, which shall contain a minimum of surface errors, which shall be of seven to eight pages in length, will separate the wheat from the chaff.

I will write a straight ahead essay, with neither mythical nor literary allusions. Just a whole lot of Constitutional law crap. When I find myself reading Supreme Court decisions late into the night, when I find myself reviewing the Fourteenth Amendment, due process, and the equal protection clause with increasing weariness, when I find, after hours of legal review, that I am invested with a gray November in my soul, I look forward to returning to the one book that stirs my imagination. To be away from my study of Moby Dick tasks me. It heaps me.

Alright, I'm exaggerating, but just a tad.

No comments: