Sunday, February 10, 2008

Where is the Bear?

A long time ago in a suburbia far far away, a book came into my possession. It inquired into nature's cycles and the survivability of our animal friends, positing the question, "Where is the bear when the wind blows cold, and the bird and the beaver and the bee?" The story continued, "Bears find sleeping good in a cave in the wood and the bird has a nest in the tree." I believe the bees kept alive in a comfortable bee hive and sipped on the honey they mixed.

Years later, the story continues. It is winter, and
I find the bear has a new appearance, and a better shelter from winter's dreary cold. In a small house in Northeast Portland, amid a warren of many rooms, DJ Acidwash spins danceable tunes on a pair of Technics turntables while a tribe of Portlanders dance with inexhaustible energy, as if to celebrate their shelter from this mournful season. And within that house I happen upon a young bear and a new conceit is born upon me: is she a cuddly bear or a grouchy bear?

Since I bogarted this image, the least I can do is site the source.
This cozy likeness of the bear that I speak of is Julia and her Beani Bear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where did you get the hat?

The Alley Cat said...

Well, that's not me in the pic, and I got the link to the site where the original photo is wrong, so I have no idea where the bear hat is.